WRL is a dynamic and aspirational organisation at the forefront of environmental thinking and practical conservation in the UK today. As such, working for WRL will provide you with opportunities to develop and grow in a stimulating environment and we spend a lot of time and effort training our staff depending on their role and career aspirations.
We try to recruit locally where possible and we aim to recruit the best. We have a low staff turnover and usually have a waiting list of people who want to work for us. We believe that our most important asset is our people. Although we can’t always offer as high a salary as we might like, we try to offer other benefits including flexitime and the option to work from home when convenient.
If you would like to be considered for a post, please email your CV to us for our files. Vacancies are advertised here on our website, as well as in the local or national press as appropriate.
Salary between £22,000 and £26,000 depending on experience plus 6% pension
Tamar Ecology (TE) is specialist consultancy that offers ecological and environmental services throughout the South West, and forms part of Westcountry Rivers Ltd (WR Ltd), the commercial trading subsidiary of the Westcountry Rivers Trust (WRT). WRT is the largest of the Rivers Trusts and a leading exponent of the integrated management of land, water and natural resources, thereby promoting landscape scale conservation and sustainable development. All profits generated by Tamar Ecology are covenanted to the WRT to support the charity in its environmental work.
Tamar Ecology has an established, varied and growing client base, including renewable energy companies, housing developers, architects, utility companies and private landowners. Due to continued expansion of the commercial arm we are now looking for a highly motivated and experienced ecologist to support this growth. As a small niche consultancy, the ability to contribute to the delivery of diverse range of projects from high level regulation and environmental impact assessments to large and small scale ecological surveys is essential.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to work for WRT, a dynamic and aspirational organisation at the forefront of environmental thinking and practical conservation in the UK today.
Requirements for this role include:
- A minimum of 3 years post-graduate consultancy experience
- A full member of CIEEM or working towards full membership (CEnv and/or CEcol desirable)
- A technically competent ecological surveyor across terrestrial and aquatic habitats and holder of a bat licence (other licences desirable) and willing to work outside office hours
- Excellent communication and proposal / report writing skills
- A solid understanding and experience of wildlife legislation, planning policy and the EIA process
- Experience of project and financial management including scoping, estimating and tendering for works
- Experience in ArcGIS, QGIS or similar
- Experience of managing and developing existing and new client relationships
- A full, clean driving licence (use of own vehicle is desirable)
There is some flexibility around the location of this role but regular days at our Stoke Climsland office will be required, together with travel throughout the South West and occasionally further afield.
If you are interested in applying for this position please apply, via email, enclosing your CV and a covering letter outlining why you feel you are suitable for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 4th May 2018.